Defy the Hands of Time
8 Manicure Tips for Younger Looking Hands and Feet
By April Parnell, Manicure and Pedicure Extraordinare
Hands are that one part of our body we sometimes forget about – we’re so busy focusing on our face and body, our hands often get neglected. Unfortunately, hands are a notorious age-giveaway. No matter how much effort we put in to looking young, if we forget to pamper our paws, they might reveal the truth behind our age.
But have no fear! Certain tricks can hide the signs of aging in our hands.
How can you keep your nails looking forever young? I’ll let you in on 8 little secrets to keep your nails healthy and pretty, no matter what your age!
1. FILE: Rough nail files can weaken your nails, leading to splitting and peeling. Instead, try using a crystal file. Crystal glass files have superfine grit to produce a clean, chip-free nail edge.
2. SHAPE: Use a fine emery board to shape nail tips only—filing the sides weakens nails, Also, for a more youthful appearance, keep nails no longer than 1/4 inch beyond your fingertips.
3. GROOM: Stop cutting your cuticles! Cuticles actually protect the nail’s growth center; cutting it can lead to nail thinning. Instead, moisturize cuticles and push them back. If you don’t have a cuticle pusher, you can make your own and use a pencil eraser wrapped in tissue.
4. PREP: A common misconception many people have is that nails turn yellow because they don’t ‘breathe’. The truth is, nails turn yellow from dark polishes staining them. It’s a myth that nails need fresh air to stay healthy. To prevent yellowing, apply a base coat before applying colored polish. Are your nails already yellow? Rub them with a freshly-cut lemon wedge—this natural beauty trick will help whiten the stained nails with fruit acids.
5. PAINT: Keep your nails looking young by using pale metallic polishes. These colors reflect more light, which can help disguise nicks and wear and tear from years of use.
6. TOP COAT: Ladies, the secret to a lasting manicure isn’t the polish, it’s the top coat.
7. STRENGTHEN: Strengthen your nails and stop breakage with a daily 2.5 mg dose of the B vitamin biotin – this is especially true for for swimmers or in the summer months when you’re in the water more often. Vitamin biotin helps prevent breakage from too much exposure to salt and chlorine. Research has even shown that a daily dose of the vitamin can increase nail thickness by up to 25%.
8. REMOVE: It’s best to remove your old polish with a non-acetone remover. You’ve probably heard that acetone dries out your nails, but breathing in the fumes can also cause throat irritation and even increase your pulse rate, according to the National Institutes of Health.
After learning these facts, you might be more inclined to pamper your nails. Go ahead, call our spa at 301-585-0888 and make your appointment for a nail care treatment now (I’ll be waiting for you!)
Happy First Day of Summer!