April’s Secrets: Funky Facts about Nails
By April Parnell, Manicure and Pedicure Extraordinare
Men and women across the nation spend countless hours primping, preening, plucking and painting their nails. Here at Jamachi Spa, we pride ourselves on the extensive nail care treatments we offer to our clients. After all, routine manicures and pedicures are an important part of living a healthy, balanced life.
But have you ever wondered why we spend so much time beautifying our nails?
I’ve compiled a list of some of the funkiest, weirdest and interesting facts about you probably never even considered.
- Nails grow at different speeds on both hands. If you are right-handed, the nails on your right hand will grow faster than the nails on your left hand and vice-versa.
- Light disturbance, like typing on a computer stimulates nail growth. Well, this kind of trauma is more like a massage…either way
- Lack of water intake causes breaks and cracks in nails. DRINK UP!
- A Hang nail is actually skin that peels from the cuticle.
- You shouldn’t cut cuticles – they help prevent bacterial infections. With a manicure from Jamachi, we’ll soften them up and push them back.
- Age affects how quickly your nails grow. They grow the fastest between ages 10 and 14, and growth slowly declines after 20.
- Nails grow at the rate of 0.1 mm daily (or 1 cm in every 100 days). So, for a finger nail to regrow completely, it takes between 4 and 6 months. For toe nails, the period of complete regrow is 12 to 18 months.
- Nail biting, accidental damage or nail loss can cause the nail plate to grow slower (we do not encourage that).
- Regular manicure and nail maintenance will help you strengthen and grow your nails (we DO encourage that).
- Nails are very tough (compared to skin of course) but even they will be dissolved in about 4 days, if you put them in Coke because Coke is highly corrosive.
- Cutting your nails after dark is bad luck. Although this is pure superstition, there is enough logic in it – if you cut your nails when there is not enough light, you can injure yourself.
- Men’s nails grow faster than women’s nails.
- The fastest growing nail is the middle finger.
- The slowest growing nail is the thumbnail.
After learning these facts, you might be more inclined to pamper your nails. Go ahead, call our spa at 301-585-0888 and make your appointment for a nail care treatment now (I’ll be waiting for you!)